Friday, February 1, 2008

Big name in Rochester politics is backing Obama


Sen. Barack Obama picked up endorsements from several noteworthy names in Rochester Friday, including former mayor Bill Johnson.


"The thing I find the most appealing is that he's been able to mobilize so many young people, and people of different races and social classes to his candidacy," said Bill Johnson. "If the Democrats are going to win in November, then it's going to be with that kind of candidate going forward."


On Sen. Hillary Clinton: "I have tremendous admiration for Senator Clinton. I worked with her when she ran for Senate in 2000. She's done a lot for this city, but I just worry that the Republicans will spend too much time dredging up old issues from her husband's past, and that's going to be a distraction the country doesn't need."


On Obama's relative inexperience: "That was a charge against me. I had no political experience when I came to office. I think this man is extraordinarily bright, I think he's talented, and I think he knows the right people to surround himself with."


Johnson spoke to the media at the Damon Campus Center on Main Street in Downtown Rochester.


Rochester City Councilman Adam McFadden also endorsed Obama, as did Willa Powell, Tom Brennan, and Allen K. Williams, all Commissioners of Education.

No comments: